Resistance to the Passage of Sound calculations - Part E

Noise is transmitted in buildings by both airborne and impact sound sources and Building Regulations requires that both these noise sources should be adequately controlled.

Part E1 of the Building Regulations ‘Protection against sound from other parts of the building and adjoining buildings’, applies to dwelling-houses, flats and rooms for residential purposes. This requires the design and construction of such buildings to be capable of providing reasonable resistance to sound from other parts of the same building. This means that adequate attention must be given to the specification of separating elements, such as walls and floors, as well as the detailing at wall and floor junctions. In addition, these buildings must also satisfy specific sound insulation values.

Pre-completion testing
Sound insulation testing can be used to demonstrate compliance with the performance standards for new dwelling-houses, flats, conversions, and rooms for residential purposes. Procedures are specified for determining the locations and number of sound tests required for building regulatory purposes.

Therm Energy Ltd is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 4660.


UKAS is the sole national certification body recognised by the government to assess, against internationally agreed standards, organisations that provide certification, testing, inspection and calibration services. Certification by UKAS means that evaluators have been assessed against internationally recognised standards to demonstrate their competence, impartiality and performance capability.

Click here to view the Sound Testing checklist.

Prices start from 345 + VAT

ukas logo

Back to Services
Home | About Us | Services | Contact Us | Directory | Useful Info | Sitemap